Thursday 10 March 2016

Sleep? Teenagers? Really?! by Priya and Jenisha Year 9


How much sleep do teenagers need?


How much sleep do teenagers need? Are they being kept awake by mobile phones and tablets? Do they need more advice on how to get a good night's sleep and more education about the risks of sleep deprivation?
Teenagers need at least 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night to function best but however on average, they only get 7 hours of sleep. It is important for your body to take rest and it is an important role for your physical health. Having enough sleep gives you benefits such as healing and repairing of the heart and blood vessels. Sleep also plays a role in puberty and fertility. Ongoing sleep can cause chronic health problems.

Many teenagers skip sleeping which is harmful and even deadly. This could even affect their brains as it can cause problems to their education. Lack of sleep causes trouble for you to make decisions, solving problems, controlling your emotions and behaviour. Sleep deficiency for teenagers have been linked to depression, suicide, and risk-taking behaviour.
In my opinion teenagers should get 8 to 10 hours of sleep because as a teenager there is more stress in our lives and we should relax our bodies and brain by sleeping. I admit I don't always have the recommended amount as I take for granted that I am young . Also, as a young person, I do not always want to be in bed at a certain time. There are just so many interesting situations going on around me and I want to enjoy it all before I have to start paying bills. My mum always tells me to sleep more as I will regret it when I am older, maybe I should start listening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment